To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 4:10 PM
Subject: Comet Holmes Swallows a Star

Hi, This is Dr. Tony Phillips calling with an alert about Comet Holmes. It's Monday, Nov. 19th.

This a message for people with backyard telescopes. Tonight, Comet 17P/Holmes will swallow a star! Not really, but the comet will pass directly in front of the star--named Mirfak, the brightest star of the constellation Perseus. The overall effect will be that of a giant cosmic jellyfish swallowing a phosphorescent treat. You can see it happen through even a small backyard telescope. The stellar "meal" will continue for the next few nights, so if you miss it tonight, try again tomorrow.

SKY MAP: http://spaceweather.com/images2007/15nov07/skymap_north_holmes.gif PHOTO GALLERY: http://spaceweather.com/comets/gallery_holmes_page18.htm