David and List,
I don't know the answer to your questions, but they sure make sense. About a year and a half ago, I finally shut down the Meteorite Impact Forum due to a lack of participation. Even with nearly 200 registered members, there was very little traffic for the final three months. Online forums offer a lot of updated features that the old mail servers don't. The one feature that I really like, and is reason enough to use a forum, is that replies stay in chronological order. I don't know about the rest of you, but it's very frustrating for me to try and read all the replies to a thread in order. I end up reading all the replies and then try guessing what order they should be in. If you miss even one reply, some threads don't make sense. With a forum, this doesn't happen. My only guess is that the Meteorite List has been around for a long time ( I've been here for 10 years) that no one wants to mess with convention. Or, could it be an old dog/new trick issue?

Best,

John