I'm going to further stir this up. In addition to my last comment, that "hammer" should only refer to the offending stone that did damage, I think there has to be a certain fame or notoriety associated with the impact for it to be noteworthy enough for a special name like this. Certainly, the larger Sylacauga stone is worthy of the term. Peekskill, for the image of the mashed car that appeared everywhere. Benld is a great one, for those of you who remember the FMNH exhibit. If one of the Nakhla stones really got a dog or Valera got a cow, which everybody has heard about, then sure, these are hammers. But a piddly piece of some shower that dings a shingle on a roof? No way. It's still a subjective term, but let's give it some force.

jeff

meteorh...@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 3/18/2009 1:28:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time, gmh...@htn.net writes: Adding trees, dams, mounds, playfields, lawns and other man-made or touched places is reaching to an extreme, and "yes", it does cheapen the true "smashers".
.
Greg,

I found two specimens in an Indian Camp Site with arrow points around, and Qynne found one in a different Indian Camp Site, next to where I found a real cool flint chisel.
How is that for extreme?  An "Ancient Indian Yard  Hammer."

I also found some specimens near where I found some dinosaur bones too. So how about a "Dino Grave Hammer" for the list?

Yes, it gets ridiculous. But I just like the sound of "Dam Hammer" damn it!

OK, I will go back to my Photobucket and change the names to "Dam Non-Hammer" just so people will feel better.

I think civil conversations on these types of topics are great. It makes the M-list a good place to be.

Steve
**************Great Deals on Dell 15" Laptops - Starting at $479 (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220433363x1201394532/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doub
leclick.net%2Fclk%3B212935224%3B34245239%3Bb)

Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383
954 National Center
Reston, VA 20192, USA