Oh my god! This is terrible news.

Just this morning I recommended "Rocks from Space" (yet again) to one of my customers.

Richard was a major inspiration to me, both in my science writing and in furthering my personal interest in meteorites. Back in the day "Rocks from Space" was the only comprehensive book readily available to the non-academic meteorite enthusiast and I pored over every word of it. I was so thrilled and amazed that there even WAS such a book in existence, and that other collectors were interested in, and writing about, meteorites.

Richard was the foremost popular writer in the field of meteoritics and his later books built on the great foundation of "RFS." It was a real privilege to have a couple of our photos included in the excellent "Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites." Richard was one of the driving forces behind "Meteorite" magazine for many years, and we worked on the "World of Meteorites from A to Z" poster together. His contributions to both the hobby and the science of meteorites are incalculable.

I so enjoyed many social times with Richard an Dorothy at the gem shows, over the years. This is an enormous loss to the community, and my sincere condolences to Dorothy -- a fine lady and a talented illustrator who worked closely with Richard on those wonderful publications.

Respectfully,

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org
www.meteoritemen.com