Aloha,

Since we had a thread recently on Alan Hale (as well as a diversion on his son of television sitcom fame), I thought I would forward an announcement sent by Hale regarding Comet 222P/LINEAR P/2009 MB9.

Those interested in receiving more announcements like this can join and subscribe to astronomyoutre...@yahoogroups.com.

Comet 222P/LINEAR P/2009 MB9

Yet another one of the intrinsically faint periodic comets that have been discovered during recent years. It was initially discovered by LINEAR in late 2004 -- and I even made an unsuccessful visual attempt for it then -- and this time around it was "re-discovered" as an Apollo-type asteroid and
not recognized as the expected LINEAR comet until it began to exhibit
cometary activity just before entering evening twilight in early August. It passed 0.17 AU from Earth on August 5 and went through inferior conjunction
a week later.

The comet began emerging into the morning sky shortly before the end of August and I started to make attempts for it, but in addition to the normal monsoon activity I've also had to contend with hazy skies (perhaps caused by smoke from the Station Fire that is burning near some of my old haunts just
north of Los Angeles) and the frustrating fact that, during what clear
mornings I did have, the comet always seemed to be located directly on top of background stars. I managed to see it on September 1 but it was passing over a pair of faint background stars and I couldn't tell too much about it; finally, on September 2 -- the last morning with any darkness before full moon -- I was able to view it in a "clean" star field as a faint diffuse
object. On September 2.47, m1=12.9 (extinction corrected), 0.9' coma.

Moonlight will wipe out the comet for the next week and a half, and by the time it is again accessible in a dark sky it will probably be too faint for visual observations. Since a half-century will elapse before the comet even passes with 0.5 AU of Earth again, these two observations are likely to be
the only ones I ever obtain of it.

Description at http://www.earthriseinstitute.org/coms46.html#461

Images and reports (including reports of outreach efforts) are welcome.

Sincerely,

Alan

Gary Fujihara
AstroDay Institute