Hello John

Circular diamond coring bits only came into use recently. The Willamette
donation was in the early 1900's. I can only assume that the saw method of the
time dictated the location of the cut: large heavy frames using a wire loop
with abrasives hand fed into the grove.  It is not like one could easily rotate
the mass easily.

I am happy to see the use of core sample extraction more frequently in
sampling. However, coring has a drawback in that it is very difficult to
lubricate and can heat up the core changing some magnetic states.

Elton