It was my impression that he was searching
for a recent fall from the observed fireball.
Or maybe I got that confused with another
thread. So I posted what recent falls, fresh
falls, would look like.

In the Eastern US, the Midwest, the high
rainfall, the freeze-thaw cycling of winters,
and the high porosity of meteorites pretty
much guarantees that a chondrite will be
transformed, even disintegrated, in short
order.

Deserts are a different story.

Such states have an abnornally high per-
centage of their finds as irons and stoney-
irons. Of the eight meteorites in the 2000
edition of the NHM Catalogue listed for
Pennsylvania, only three (38%) are non-iron,
while 90% or more of the meteorites that
fall there (and everywhere else) are stones.

Why? Stones don't survive in those conditions.

Sterling K. Webb
----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Stanley" <stanleygr...@hotmail.com> To: <sterling_k_w...@sbcglobal.net>; "Mike Hankey" <mike.han...@gmail.com>; <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>