To: <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:59 PM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Dust, and millions and millions of years

Hi all -

"...approximately 40,000-60,000 t of extraterrestrial material
lands on Earth every year, the majority of which is in the form of tiny
dust grains usually less than 1 mm (1/25 in) in size; importantly, most
of this dust is believed to originate from comets..."

So how massive was the Earth at formation, when the insects ruled, when the reptiles ruled, when the dinosaurs ruled? What percentage of current gravity during each period?

We know that when insects ruled, the Earth's atmosphere had far more oxygen, apparently later out-gassed to space.

I wonder what the long term future holds? Some quick math, Sterling, anyone?

Ed "E.P."