At 06:13 PM 3/13/2010, Greg Catterton wrote:
There are many meteorites with names that may be foreign to many of us.
I have often wondered just how they are actually pronounced...

L'aigle... just how do you say it?
http://www.forvo.com/word/l%27aigle#fr

Some years ago I started a page on meteorite pronunciations. The only ones I did were L'aigle and Orgueil.

http://www.pibburns.com/catastro/metprono.htm

I believe one of our list members from Poland put up a page with Polish pronunciations, and someone else presented a page with some other French meteorites.

There are some U.S. meteorites that would benefit from having their pronunciations presented too: Willamette and Saint Augustine, Benld, etc.

This might be a worthy project for the IMCA to sponsor. An IMCA page of meteorite pronunciations would be a useful resource.

-- Philip R. "Pib" Burns
   p...@pibburns.com
   http://www.pibburns.com/