I'm enjoying the information you fine collectors are putting on here as I learn something new everyday. I thought I'd toss my two cents in there as an f.y.i.

An acquaintance who has a mining claim on BLM is not able to mine the claim now that the entire area in California has been practically sealed off and the local sheriffs and BLM personnel won't allow anyone onto it. There were first concerns of people dumping their old rehabbing projects from homes being rehabbed (Imagine that, someone dumping on BLM land) and the dangers of asbestos. Then, environmental groups, which I generally always support were questioning the safety of the water table and the native salamanders and various native plant species. The bottom line is that the BLM decided with all this going on that the easiest way was to close it down entirely, no more dumping of possible asbestos materials and no danger to the native flora and fauna.

My guess is that similar situations will be occurring throughout the West, if they have not already been put into place or are in the works.

Have a great day!

Brian