I've been reading up recently on various parent-bodies etc and there are a bunch of theories out there regarding various irons and stones. One that I can think of off the top of my head is that some consider the Horse Creek iron to have a potential origin in common with the Aubrites and/or Enstatite Chondrites.

Cheers,

Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: <bar...@univ-brest.fr>
To: "Melanie Matthews" <miss_meteor...@yahoo.ca>
Cc: "Meteorite List" <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:37 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Any irons/stony-irons linked to known stones?

Hi,

at present, excepted winonaites with IAB irons, no known group of iron is
connected to a group of achondrite.

The situation is slightly different for mesosiderites and pallasites. The
silicate portion of the mesosiderites is certainly linked to HEDs but the metal and the silicates are not genetically linked. Concerning pallasites, they have been considered to be linked with IIIAB irons, but that's really unlikely (see
the recent paper in PSRD by Scott...).

Again, it is unlikely that the large impact basin in Vesta displays the core of
the body...

cheers

Jean-Alix

Selon Melanie Matthews <miss_meteor...@yahoo.ca>:

Are any chondrites and/or achondrites suspected as originating from the same
parent body as any known irons and stony-irons?

Someone mentioned something asking about the possibility of some irons coming
from 4 Vesta in another thread, not too long ago...

Cheers

-Melanie
IMCA: 2975
eBay: metmel2775
Known on SkyRock Cafe as SpaceCollector09

I eat, sleep and breath meteorites 24/7.