Thanks for posting that, Bernd.
That explains a sighting I experienced in southern Illinois around that date. I stepped outside for some fresh air after a late night band rehearsal and for a moment thought that the sunset was still lingering. Then I realized it was well after midnight. There were large, shifting areas of pink and purplish colors, rather than the green which is apparently more common. That was the only time I've ever seen the aurora, but I'd sure like to get up to Alaska and take in some more. I still haven't seen a total solar eclipse either. One of these days...
Linton

----- Original Message ----- From: <bernd.pa...@paulinet.de>
To: <Meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:18 AM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Aurora Borealis last night (was: Geminid MeteorShower Count)

Hello "mt" and List,

Sky & Telescope, July 1981, p. 86: April's Intense Auroral Display

On April 10th, at about 16:55 Universal time, the Sun spewed a solar flare
from a region near the center of' its disk. It was a modest flare by solar
standards, but the high-energy electrons and protons it sent speeding out
into the planetary system were on a collision course with Earth.

Their arrival some 58 hours later was nothing short of spectacular, producing
an aurora reported => as far south as the Mexican border and Florida. <=

The associated geomagnetic storm was more intense than any since those
resulting from the great solar Flares of August, 1972.