There are also long-term value issues:

If you had $5000 to spend on a gem that would retain its value, would
you buy a  1 ct diamond or a 1 ct space-gem?

While the hard-core collector may say space-gem, everyone else in the
world would say diamond. The diamond market is well established and if
you had to resell or pawn a diamond, it would hold most of its value
(normally around 60-80% unless you're desperate). Try taking a
space-gem to a pawn shop, they'll look at you funny and give you $20;
because to them and the rest of the world, peridot is peridot.

I'm not knocking olivine space-gems, the problem is you need to
establish the market and demand before you can attain the desired
price.

-Yinan