Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2011 9:48 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] ANSWER - whole stone concerns

OK,
       I think all of you are right. Therefore, you should all send me
Your entire meteorite collections - then I will be stuck with any and
All fakes in your collections.
       Just trying to be helpful, Michael

On 5/8/11 5:17 PM, "Walter Branch" <waltbra...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Hello Michael,

It really is not that easy.  As this example illustrates, even honest
dealers can be duped.  I purchase meteorites from a very small list of
dealers.  Very small.  I have done business with some for 15 years; two I
started buying from this year.  All have earned my complete trust.

However...

While I trust these dealer to not intentionally dupe me, how do I know they trust their sources and they have done their due diligence in the same way I
have?

As an example, I applaud Anne Black for setting the example of providing
provenance for her meteorites but how am I assured the person who sold a
given specimen it to Anne did what Anne and I would have done? BTW, I trust
Anne.

I sold some meteorites recently.  I listed the dealers I purchased the
meteorites from. I sold one last week that I obtained from Matt Morgan. I told the purchaser I got it from Matt. Did Matt vett his source, as I have done Matt? I don't know. Did the person before them? I don't know. BTW,
I trust Matt.

Remember the, what was it, sandstone dinosaur egg incident?

As we can see, the chain of custody can become quite complicated.

I have been concerned for a long time now about this sort of thing
happening.  The surprising thing to me is that it did not happen sooner.

This whole incident is really getting to me. I have had it on my mind all
day.

-Walter Branch