Although you are having a slightly different issue you might want to join
in on my discussion (with myself). It's a very similar problem.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mezzanine-users/A7wEDWprYZY/gb-FBYxJjzQJ

I am using AWS S3 with SSL for the admin. The only problem I have left is
getting the source editor to work. I might be able to advise you on your
issue as well. You may first want to read the replys here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mezzanine-users/r5DXu0dkCMU/3eH4wdczaZcJ

It relates to getting S3 working with mezzanine.