Thanks Iain, I should have mentioned it but this only happens when
SSL_FORCED_PREFIXES_ONLY is True (which is the default behavior).  When
it's False things work great, but in the particular situation where I
encountered it this time setting that to False isn't a viable option; there
are pages that have non ssl iframes on them so they need to only be
accessed via an unsecured connection to avoid insecure content
warnings/errors in browsers.

Thanks!