You might want to take a look at the section on "Modifying the CSS" in this
tutorial (it's near the bottom):

http://rosslaird.com/blog/customizing-mezzanine/

In general, I use a separate CSS file for my customizations (loaded after
the bootstrap CSS), and I use either Emacs or Sublime Text (or Vim) to make
the actual changes. All work very well. Also, typically the best way to
identify elements to change is to use the web development features (or
extensions) of your browser. In Chrome, the key for this is Ctrl-Shift-i
(that's a letter i).

Hope this helps.

Ross