Hi Christian, I'll try to answer some of your questions!

Right now the release on pypi only works with up to Django 1.6.11.  A new
release supporting 1.7 and 1.8 will be coming soon, for now you should be
pretty safe using the master branch on Github (that is what will be
released soon).  You can install master from github using pip by doing this:

pip install -e git+https://github.com/stephenmcd/mezzanine.git#egg=Mezzanine

As far as MySQL goes, if MySQLdb doesn't work with Python 3 then the answer
is most likely no.  People on the Django users group would probably be more
knowledgeable about it.

I know that Mezzanine does work with custom user models.  I'm not sure how
integrated that is with the way Mezzanine handles users updating their
profile (name, email, and additional fields that traditionally were pulled
from the AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE).  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on
that topic will point you in the right direction.