No progress. I don't believe hat debug point is not relevant; this issue is
deep in the editor itself because you can reproduce it by typing an empty
div into the html field in the editor ('<>') and then switching back to the
normal source - the '&nbsp;' and extraneous <p>....</p> elements are
inserted then... long before you start cleaning stuff up in mezzanine.

Cheers,
Paaul