Thank you for your response!

I had tried to use this (from tinymce docs
<https://www.tinymce.com/docs/demo/custom-toolbar-button/>) in the init
function:
toolbar: 'hrbutton',

    setup: function (editor) {
        console.log("setup fn hit");
        editor.addButton('hrbutton', {
          text: '|||||',
          icon: false,
          onclick: function () {
            editor.insertContent('<hr>');
          }
        });
    },

but with no success. Your question made me realize that I had been editing
grapelli's tinymce_setup and not mezzanine's. Unfortunately the same
toolbar field and setup function do not work in mezzanine's tinymce_setup
either. The changes were't appearing at all. Finally overriding the default
tinymce_setup worked fine.

TINYMCE_SETUP_JS = 'js/customtinymce_setup.js'

Thank you for your help!