On July 11, 2000 at 17:34, Dorothy Firsching wrote:

> I just put up Verity on my site and find that it will search about anything
> except that it gets hung up, I think, on the comments in the
> MHonArc-generated .html files.  It finds the thread and date indexes if you
> search on "order", for instance, but not something in the document titles
> in those indexes, and does not find anything in the message documents.
> However, it will work just fine if I delete the <!-- comments -->.
>
> I seem to recall having read something about this a long time ago.

Yep.

> Is this the case?  Is there any configuration tweak to Verity or to MHonArc
> that is recommended, for the least impact on an existing archive?

First, complain to Verity for giving you a defective product, especially
for how much they charge for it.

A possible work around is to use the SSMARKUP resource.  Try the following:

<SSMarkup>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML//EN">
</SSMarkup>

Note, the various *PGBEGIN resources include a <!DOCTYPE> declaration,
but the browsers will probably ignore it.  If it is a problem, you can
edit the *PGBEGIN resources to not contain the <!DOCTYPE> declaration.

        --ewh