Hi folks !

Sean and I had been bouncing around ideas about how to structure the LUG
meetings for a while. I think the trick will be finding a balance between
presenting less technical (undaunting) material helpful to new users and
more technical material for the gear heads. We don't want to scare folks
who are interested in running Linux away with a "he talked for 20 minutes
and I still haven't figured out what the title meant" presentation, or bore
the more technical folks away with a "how to use ls". Reading around I've
noticed this can be a fracture point for groups (Rockland LUG seems to have
fallen apart in this manner). So my idea (finally, I know, I'm windy) is
(taking some ideas from some successful lugs) to format something like this

1) Welcome - Hi this is what we're doing tonight
2) First presentation - More user oriented
3) Second presentation - More technical
4) Announcements / Job Offers / Job Seekers
5) Split off into discussion groups (e.g. install problems, user problems,
gear talk, kernel talk...)
6) Donuts - A guy can dream, can't he?


The idea is to not scare off the new folks with the first speaker, and the
geniuses will stick through the first to get to the second, and the less
experience folk will figure hey why not listen to the second speaker
instead of having a smoke in the freezing cold outside.

Anyway start firing ideas...

Thanks,
Mike

=======================================
Michael Grundy - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/os/linux/ldt/
845-435-8842 (T/L 295) Fax: 845-435-8530

"Program testing can best show the presence of errors
  but never their absence" - Edsger Djikstra





_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to