Paul Bildzok/Poughkeepsie/IBM@[EMAIL PROTECTED] on 01/11/2003 08:54:58
AM

Sent by:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]


To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:
Subject:    [mhvlug] Welcome / Speaker

> Kudos, Sean et al.
> Flashed through the archives, have one initial input for consideration,
> this involving March mtg speaker.
> While there's plenty of time, I wouldn't fret if you can't get a high-vis
> speaker for March;
> if you prefer, call it a back-up plan.  IMHO, I think this meeting would
be
> equally effective,
> given kick-off/set-the-stage/read-the-audience interest, if you, Sean,
were
> to be the MC/speaker.
> Sure, if you could get Eric or MadDog or Kevin Smith or ... later in the
> Spring, great.
> Don't sell yourself short (productive,listenable), and there might even
be
> some benefit to this approach;
> I think the time could be usefully filled, and if a lull, you et al could
> do well at trying to engage/open the audience.
> My opinion but I expect others might share it (at least as a viable
backup
> plan).
> Paul


I agree, if we have a guest speaker great, but if not, as a first meeting
it will be a good time to get to
know one another and as Paul said "read-the-audience interest".  My
attempts to find a LUG have
been frustrating thus far so I'm looking forward to just getting together
and meeting other Linux users.

Also a qucik comment on Sean's post from  Fri, 03 Jan 2003 11:37:21 -0800
Subject: Re: [mhvlug] Meeting format ideas:

> The biggest thing is that Linux Developers know how to find
> other Linux Developers in their area of expertise (via mailing
> lists and such).  People just getting started with Linux in the
> area don't really have anywhere to turn to right now.  MHVLUG
> should be that for them.

When I was working in VT I found a LUG in BTV within IBM.  I went to one
meeting and nobody
welcomed me or for that matter even talked to me.  I don't want to
criticize my fellow IBM'ers
(after all they are the ones making Linux@IBM work) but being fairly new to
Linux at the time I was
made to feel unwelcome and became quickly discouraged.

> As founder/interim dictator of this group, I'm going to put my
> foot down a bit on this front.

Sean's firmness on this subject is encouraging and I'm looking forward to
the first meeting.

john
IBM Microelectronics, East Fishkill, NY
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to