Porkchop wrote:
> This is the downside to Linux. Gotta lock it up solid or keep on top 
> of all the updates. The only way to really run a firewall perfectly 

Hmmm... I don't mean to "preach to the choir" here, but for any newbies on
this list, it seems to me that this is the downside of the internet, not of
Linux in particular.

Every day my company's webserver gets hit with 5 to 10 attacks trying to
execute "cmd.exe" in various sneaky ways, or to initiate a buffer overflow
on "default.ida".  I've always assumed these came from some kind of Code
Red variant infecting the systems of hapless users who were foolish enough
to start an unpatched IIS server.  All told, most of the serious network
disruptions I've seen have been Windows related - generally IIS worms and
Outlook worms.  This is probably largely because there are more Windows
systems out there, but I also think that there are other factors involved
that make it harder to attack Linux systems en masse.

That said, I agree with everybody else: the price of running servers on the
internet (in _any_ OS) is constant vigilance.

=============================================================================
michaelMuller = [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cloud9.net/~proteus
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no way to find the best design except to try out as many designs as
possible and discard the failures. - Freeman Dyson
=============================================================================
_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to