On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Michael M. Rye wrote:

> O.K.  I got a response from my ISP from someone more knowledgeable.
> That person said that they can indeed support SSH connections on
> dynamic IP addresses (dial-ups).

Dynamic IPs aren't an issue as long as it's not configured to require
specific IPs.  With RSA authentication there really isn't a lot of need to
be fussy about IPs.

> However, they are not planning on supporting it because of the
> licensing cost to implement SSH on their server is too high
> when compared against the ISP user base that wants the support.
>
> Does SSH really cost so much that it's unwarranted for an ISP
> to use it ???  (How much does licensing it cost, anyway?)

It's hard to believe that $495 is prohibitive for an ISP.  See:

        http://www.datafellows.com/download-purchase/

Note that they'd have to have the V1 server to be compatible with
MiamiTelnet.  The "fallback" in V2 is implemented by the V2 server's
running the V1 server when it detects a V1 client.  I don't know if the V2
server package includes the V1 server for this purpose or not.

                                        Fred Wright