In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Fred Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, David Simpson wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but these two still refuse to work together.  :-(
> >
> > I have the "net.inet.tcp.sack=208" line still in there.
>
> Do you still see the sackOK in the TCP options in the failing case?

Actually SACKs work fine, i.e. seeing sackOK is no reason for concern.
The problem is with TSACKs, a kind of "SACK emulation" using timestamps.
Under so far unknown circumstances MiamiDx sends incorrect timestamps
if TSACKS are enabled, causing the observed performance problems with
some hosts.

Because of that net.inet.tcp.sack should currently be set to 208.
This keeps SACKs (and TCP-NewReno and other stuff) enabled, but
disabled TSACKs. Setting it to 243 enables TSACKs as well, causing
the observed difficulties.

--
Holger Kruse   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
               http://www.nordicglobal.com