In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tim Seifert
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been toying with the auto-reconnection options, by trying to either
> telnet to my other computer, or get a page from it's webserver.  I have the
> MODEM on ppp0, and use diskserial to my other computer on ppp1.
>
> Oddly enough though, if both (pp0 and pp1) interfaces are off-line, MiamiDx
> tries to dial into my ISP first, rather than connect to my internal network,
> even though the address (10.0.0.2) that I've tried to connect to (using the
> IP numbers) is listed in the settings for the other (ppp1) interface.
>
> If pp1 was already online, and pp0 isn't, it doesn't do that.  Nor does
> trying to connect to localhost (when both are offline) do that either.
>
> This would seem to be a problem, were I to have an intranet, and tried to
> check something on it, and Miami decided to make a phone call unneccesarily.

There is "auto-connect from offline" and "auto-connect from suspended".

Auto-connect from offline can only take ONE interface online, i.e. it
cannot take IP addresses or anything else into account to choose one of
several interfaces. That's because interfaces that are offline don't
affect routing tables or interface tables, so the kernel does not know
about them at all. (And for interfaces with dynamic addresses it would
have no way of "predicting" addresses anyway.)

If you have multiple PPP interfaces, one for your Internet link, possibly
with dynamic IP addresses, and one for a local link, then "auto-connect from
offline" should only be used for the Internet link, where IP addresses etc.
may change, but not for the other interfaces.

If you want your other PPP interfaces to go on/offline on demand as well
then you need to configure those with static IP addresses, set "prefered
offline state" to "suspended", enable "auto-connect from suspended", and be
sure to take them online once every time MiamiDx starts, so routing tables
are set up. You can take them offline again immediately afterwards, if you
wish, or just let them time out with "inactivity disconnect". Either way,
they will go to "suspended" state, and from that state auto-connect can
take IP addresses and routing information into account.

--
Holger Kruse   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
               http://www.nordicglobal.com