On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Dave Courtois wrote:

in the last couple year i develop an application name Figura,
a distributed Cad system. I made use of Corba for this, and i find Corba pretty well design and easy to use. Recently i have todo a web 2.0 application at work. So i chose JavaEE for that purpose because the compagnie impose Java as langage. The use of this platform became a nigthmare very very fast. Java EE it's long to understand, hard to debug, and a simple application take alot of time to program.

I fully agree with you. Many people think that CORBA and C++ are complex and difficult to learn. If they fail with the development of distributed applications, then they blame CORBA. IMHO CORBA is a very good tool, if you know what you are doing. If you don't know, well, then you are lost anyway, with CORBA, Web Services, whatever.

So i decide to made my own C++ framework... So where to begin, and why c++... After a long reflexion about the poor and const of C++ and why object framework like corba and DCOM/COM+ was made i realise that, there alot of benefit to start whit CORBA!!

For new applications, I'd not use plain CORBA anymore. Here at ObjectSecurity, we switched to the CORBA Components Model (CCM). At least for implementing the application's core functionality. Plain CORBA is mainly used for integration of legacy or 3rd party software which cannot be turned into a component. CCM provides many very useful features for complex distributed applications, e.g. setting up connections or deployment. The real fun starts when you combine CCM with a MDA tool chain. You just model your system and press a button to generate IDL, CIDL, skeletons and descriptors. Then you add your business logic. And that's it!

We are using Qedo (www.qedo.org), the CCM implementation on top of MICO, for some very complex systems. Together with the ObjectWall IIOP proxy and the OpenPMF Policy Management Framework we are also able to run distributed systems securely over domain boundaries. We used this platform e.g. for a C2 system and distributed airport/air traffic simulations. It saved us a lot of development effort and produced better (more flexible and more maintainable) applications. The next project in the queue is a very complex and large transportation system.

So before you think about implementing a new framework, have a look at Qedo. It might save you a lot of work.

So i plan in the first part of that project to made nice implementation of
the pesitence state service, that can be use by MICO.

This would be most welcome!

Cheers,
Rudi