For those who don't know, Ryan King and myself will be presenting a
half-day tutorial at XTECH[1] one of my personal goals is to do some
citation microformats demos/discussions, so i am more than happy to try
and kick-start the citation discussion again.

I'll read over the edits made to the wiki and leave some comments there.

I also agree that Citations are NOT flat key=>value pairs and that they
do have a nested hierarchy. We also don't want to reinvent the wheel,
there are already formats for describing address information[2] and
people/organizations[3], so we should reuse as much as possible.

Part of the reason behind listing and collecting all the different
formats was both to find commonalities and (in the end) to show that the
microformat property called "foo" maps to citation format1 property
"bar" and in citation format2 "foo" maps to "foobar". Not everything
will map, we are only trying to achieve the 80/20 rule[4]. By gathering
examples in the wild and commonalities between formats, that was going
to give us a solid base to start from.

There has also been discussions about works of Art microformats, and
Television microformats. Both of which IMHO are just specific forms of
general citations. These do not necessarily have to be rolled into this
citation microformat, but if they easily can, we should be aware of them.

The presentation is May 16th, so lets see how far forward we can move.

Thanks,
-brian

[1] - http://xtech06.usefulinc.com/content/tutorials#microformats
[2] - http://microformats.org/wiki/adr