On Mar 29, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Chris Messina wrote:
Actually, I've wondered this myself and think that people will
actually do this regardless...

So while I take your point Tantek, I think allowing this actually
makes sense. Parsers should treat combined microformats and objects as
non-nested objects... basically the equivalent behavior of shorthand
CSS styles:

background-color: #fff;
background-image: url(image.gif);
background-repeat: no-repeat;

and

background: url(image.gif) no-repeat #fff;

Bad comparison: there is no nesting in CSS declarations and the vocabulary is centrally controlled (unlike semantics in HTML class, rel and other attributes).

Therefore, using:

would be the equivalent of

...except that it wouldn't be nestable.

This saves a bunch of code and writing and makes for a more elegant
solution, IMO.

The problem with this is that it throws out the advantages that unique root class names give us, namely, context. If we flatten the hierarchy, we greatly constrain our vocabulary, which we have enough trouble managing, as is.

-ryan

PS- we really need to FAQ this, it seems to come up once a month.