On Jul 13, 2006, at 3:17 PM, Sho Kuwamoto wrote:

Depending on the look I wanted to achieve, I might find myself needing
to surround, say, the first three divs by another div (let's call it
"leftColumn" because there is no semantic relationship between these
three sections).

Why isn't "leftColumn" a semantic relationship? It means something, doesn't it? There's no reason a bunch of designers couldn't get together and agree on what "leftColumn" means just like the W3C agreed on what "h1" means, and the microformats community agreed on what "vevent" means. Until someone find a babblefish, that shared meaning is all we have to communicate. That's as semantic as it gets.

Peace,
Scott