On Oct 5, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Ciaran McNulty wrote:

I'd prefer to say that an hCard with missing elements *is* an hCard,
it's just invalid.  It's like saying that a web page that's missing
its <head> is invalid, rather than saying it's not HTML.

Yeah, after thinking about it more, I don't really think this really matters as much as I did before. Worst case scenario we get a bunch of unintentionally partial hCards where half the data gets ignored because it's in form inputs. And partial data is still better than no data. I do, however, still have a concern about this:

"or if those value attributes are blank and you have contact
data, this would be a good place to paste it."

An existing parser wouldn't at all need to know about this, it would
need to say, quite rightly, that the hCard wasn't valid and not try
and do stuff with it.

However, if I was writing a 'smart pasting' application, there's
already a whole rich semantic structure in hCard that would let me
immediately work out that, for instance, a certain [EMAIL PROTECTED]"text"]
is expecing my given-name.

How would an application know whether the following should be parsed as a blank additional name, or filled in with a previously supplied given name?

<input type="text" class="additional-name" value="" />

Or is there no difference between stating that a property is blank, and not stating it at all?

Peace,
Scott