Le 06-10-12 à 23:18, Scott Reynen a écrit :
class="currency" title="USD">¢</abbr></span>

This is the sort of absurdity that the credit card advertisers
engage in.

I'm not sure what this means. Do you not think 99¢ means fundamentally the same thing as 0.99USD?

What you see is 99 and what you get is less than 1.

That's only true if you consider the value outside the context of the currency, and I don't know why anyone would do that. "99" is a meaningless monetary value without a currency assigned. If the currency is going to be optional, I think it at least needs to be implied. Otherwise we just have a number with no idea what it means. And if there's an established currency, then why not use the unit already explicitly defined by that currency's ISO 4217 code? Why throw away the "D" in "USD"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217
"The first two letters of the code are the two letters of ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country codes"

There are also issues in the way you divide numbers. In many countries, number are organized by sequence of 3 digits. For example, in Japan

          10 yen = ju(10) yen
        1000 yen = ichi(1) sen yen
but    10000 yen = ichi(1) man yen (and not ju sen yen)

     10000   万       man
      1000   千       sen

        wa-on     kan-on    mandarin
 1 一   hito       ichi     yi
 2 二   futa       ni       ar, liang *
 3 三   mi         san      san
 4 四   yon        shi *    si
 5 五   itsutsu    go       wu
 6 六   mu         roku     liu
 7 七   nana       shichi * qi
 8 八   ya         hachi    ba
 9 九   kokonotsu  kyuu     jiu
10 十   tou        jyuu     shi

And this is actually used in daily life, in case people think its a corner case.

  QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
     *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***