On 2/2/07, Derrick Lyndon Pallas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Except it does need it. Say you put your del.icio.us (or otherwise) feed
on your page and want to include it and the associated tags as xFolk
entries. How can a generic rel-tag parser know that the xFolk entires
don't apply to the current page without knowing about xFolk. That's the
scoping problem.

The tag applying to the page just means that there's something on the
page relevant to that tag.  And there is - the del.icio.us feed!

The problem is
not that they "may be applied to the page" it's that they "are applied
to the page"

I meant 'may' as in 'yes, the parser can go ahead and apply them' - my
ambiguity sorry.

and there are reasons that is inappropriate,

Can you expand on the reasons?

Basically, if a page has a blog entry about Cats and an hCard in the
category 'Dogs' on it, why can't that page validly be tagged with
'cats' and 'dogs'?

My solution (to indicate scope with a generic rel-tag
counterpart and then allow specific parsers to override the scoping rule
if they understand the containing element) is both general and powerful.

I haven't looked at the different scoping proposals and certainly I'm
not saying yours is bad, I'm questioning the need to complicate what
is after all an incredibly simple format.

Take the example of a dead relative: there is no way to put a family
tree with relatives you need to tag as "deceased" on your own page
without a document level parser concluding that you are dead.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

All a rel-tag parser would take from it would be that the page had
something on it about someone who's 'dead', surely.  I don't know
where it starts making inferences about me.

-Ciaran