On Feb 12, 2007, at 8:16 AM, David Janes wrote:

On 2/11/07, Ryan Cannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
UID+URL *is* more constraining. Like rel-tag, you're forcing a lot of
assumptions about the documents *surrounding* these URLs--links have
to point somewhere after all.

My UID, if you will, is http://ryancannon.com/. I've established it
across many different sites as the definitive link for "me". By
forcing UID+URL to be used to establish an hCard's source, you're
also forcing my most robust hCard must exist at that URL.

Absolutely not. Look at the discussions I've been having with Ryan
King, and in particular, the examples and algorithms applied to same.
Explicitly we use RK's home page as an intermediate pointer link to
another location where the authoritative hCard lives.

This is the algorithm you're describing, right?

Also, the algorithm for finding the most authoritative hCard:

1. if no uid or uid == the uid from the previous iteration/recursion
=> you're done
2. if url == uid and there's an hCard at that url, recurse with the
new hCard

with the result that

At each of these URLs it finds another hCard that leads on again, thus
identifying a series of related hCards. All of which are tied, by
virtue of the UID, to the value of the element

(from http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2007- February/008658.html)

This looks to me like it abuses the semantics of UID. If you're creating
a chain of hCards with UID, how does that property describe

a globally unique identifier corresponding to the individual or
resource associated with the vCard.

(from http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2426.txt)

Is RK's UID http://theryanking.com/blog/contact/#vcard or http:// theryanking.com?

Each hCard in that chain contains a *different* UID. That's not a
globally unique identifier. The *object identifier* of the hCard
and the *source document* for the hCard are two semantically different
things, and need two different constructs.

--
Ryan Cannon

Interactive Developer
MSI Student, School of Information