Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

title="2007-03-12T17:00:00"

Can you confirm that:
a) This will in fact solve the screen reader problem

It will not. Though I agree with Jeremy and Tantek that this solution is slightly better than the current recommendation. It is still far from accessible. Tantek and I discussed this format at SXSW as a possible solution, but its only moderately helps for dates, and doesn't help much for datetimes:

"2007-04-27" is mostly accessible as it's usually read as either "two thousand seven. four. twenty-seven." or "two thousand seven dash four dash twenty-seven." Sometimes the leading zero is spoken, too.

It's important to note however, that everything past the T is usually gibberish. Even given the *ideal* situation where the ':'s are not spoken as "colon", the time zone delimiter is spoken as "minus", and the colon separated pairs are spoken as "o'clock," the result is still less than ideal.

T12:00:00-06:00
Best case scenario "tee twelve o'clock zero zero minus six o'clock."
Worst case scenario: "tee one two colon zero zero colon zero zero dash zero six colon zero zero"

This also doesn't account for screen readers set to read in other languages. Besides pronunciation phonemes, reader languages have all sorts of rules for writing conventions (i.e. sometime speaking "five o'clock" for "5:00" in English). I can't begin to guess what problems that that would entail. We'd need to talk to the internationalization team at the manufacturers.

I can try to meet with the i18n people on the Voiceover team, but as today, Voiceover doesn't read any title attributes and so doesn't have an issue with abbr-design-pattern. The problem is with the more popular readers, Jaws and Window Eyes.

b) This still conforms with all the relevant W3C recommendations

It conforms to the ISO spec for dates, and the W3C specs for markup, but the article points to a WCAG reference that indicates abbr [title], acronym[title], td[abbr], and th[abbr] are meant for speaking. Ex. "20 lbs" should be spoken "twenty pounds." This is not implied for other elements like span[title], em[title], etc.

The article proposes keeping abbr-design-pattern for uses such as:

<abbr class="country-name" title="Japan">JP</abbr>

But abolishing its misuse in the following: dates, long/lat, and RFC type values.

<abbr class="dtstart" title="2007-03-27T12:00:00-06:00">Noon Central</ abbr>
<abbr class="geo" title="30.300474;-97.747247">Austin</abbr>
<abbr class="type" title="home" xml:lang="es">Casa</abbr>

Cheers,
James