Absalom Media wrote:
Jon wrote:
To comment on the redundant span test-case...
A cursory test of that in context on absalom.biz using IE 7 resulted in JAWS behaving strangely. I intend to test this more, but my observations are as follows:

JAWS wasn't reading out the title attribute in place of the element's content (a human-readable date) when set to expand abbreviations. Probing the element information (Ins+Shift+F1) didn't report a title attribute on the element. After restarting JAWS and IE 7, the not-so-nice ISO date in the title attribute was read out in place of the human-readable date.

The question then becomes why does it require a restart to negotiate to
the ISO date ?

Hi Lawrence,

It wasn't that I needed to restart to apply the settings in JAWS, rather
that is required a restart for JAWS to refresh its model of the page I
think. The verbose settings were applied, but JAWS could not extract the
title attribute from your page.

I figure it might be something to do with the sIFR in use on the page tested on absalom.biz, as it was causing other issues when reading past the <h3> just above the microformatted date. It could be something to do with using the redundant span, but it's unlikely.

Interesting. I've had no trouble with JAWS 8, IE6 and sIFR. Could IE7 be
to blame?

Admittedly, my test with JAWS 8.0 and IE 6 worked far better than with
IE 7, so yes, I do think the odd behaviour could be restricted to IE 7.
However, when testing with IE 6 and JAWS set to announce expanded
abbreviations, the non-human-friendly ISO date was read out as in my
previous testing.

If you are setting JAWS 8.0 to expand abbreviations and browsing with IE
6, I cannot explain this discrepancy. If you use JAWS 7.10 to test,
however, there is a bug with the verbosity settings that means
abbreviations are not actually expanded. The setting is effectively
ignored.

Jon

--
gr0w.com