In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Paul Wilkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

On Dec 31, 2007 11:38 AM, Andy Mabbett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have a need to mark up some people's names, which are given as
initials only, and where the full names for which those initials stand
are not known. For example, "A. N. Other".
<snip>
In the absence of an "initials" property, how would you mark up such a
name, in an hCard?

How would you enter the information into an address book? You would put "A. N. " as the first name, or even "A." for the first name and "N." as the additional name.

While one of your two proposals - probably the former - may be the best possible solution, given the current hCard spec, I specifically said in my full e-mail that it was not known, in this example, whether the person's "given name" was (say) "Adrian" or "Nigel".

There is no "first name" attribute in hCard or vCard.

No other special stuff is required.

The above issues aside, "A" is neither a first nor a given name. It's an abbreviation for one or other such a name, which remains unknown. Indicating that "A. N." are initials, and not names, would add semantic specificity.

--
Andy Mabbett