In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Manu Sporny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

Thom Shannon wrote:
perhaps there was prior discussion and agreement that was just a long
time ago? Have you searched the archives or asked Tantek directly?

Here's the IRC log regarding the change to the wiki:

http://rbach.priv.at/Microformats/IRC/2008-02-07#T010220

I don't consider that to be adequate period of discussion; and I don't consider that forum alone to be an adequate forum for discussion of such a major issue.

What would happen if I implemented one of my outstanding - and nowhere near as harmful - proposals in that way?

Why has it not been reverted yet? If I had any faith that this was truly an open community, I would do so myself.

I agree with the change

I agree with the general principle behind the change. I don't agree with the method of implementation, or with changing the spec in a way which has such wide- reaching implications, and backwards-compatibility issues, with out doing adequate research, and giving ample warning, first. I don't agree with making the change wholesale rather than examining the implications in each type of use, And I don't agree with changing the way several microformats work, by amending the parsing-rules page for one of them.

- I don't agree with not running it past the
microformats-new list.

It's not just about new microformats, but also existing microformats; it should be discussed here, too.

It seems like a fairly far-reaching
change/update. It invalidates the need for "mfo" in hcard, doesn't it?
If it were applied to the rest of Microformats, it would invalidate the
need for "mfo" entirely.

It also break some previously-valid implementations.

There are logs - so it would be wrong to say the decision was made in
private, it was done on IRC, without notification to microformats-new.

Who said it was made in private?

--
Andy Mabbett