Hello µF community,

I have been working on a particular problem and believe that the creation or adoption of microformats would not only solve it, but be of benefit to a great many web developers and help push the adoption of microformats within enterprise companies.

The generic use case I have is quite simple:

1. Large company buys an expensive Web Analytics type product from a vendor such as WebTrends, Omniture, Coremetrics or other (there are lots of smaller vendors in the EU) 2. As part of the implementation the large company must add good quality metadata to *every web page* on their site(s) to provide the purchased product with enough information to exercise its many features.

Currently the common means of adding metadata to the web pages is through proprietary and custom JavaScript mark-up that is time consuming, error prone, opaque and expensive to manage for the large company in question, e.g.

 WT.pn = 'Homepage';  // WebTrends markup
 s.pageName = 'Homepage'; // Omniture markup
 pageTracker._trackPageview('/Homepage'); // Google Analytics

Until recently there was little incentive for the vendor companies to improve on this, as the custom mark-up and its implementation provided a barrier to product switching and generated revenue through implementation consulting.

I've been lurking here for quite a while, and 18 months ago I was able to start working full-time on better solutions for these product implementations and soon came to the conclusion that microformats were the way to go. I have a post outlining this thinking in more depth here:

 <https://jshub.org/blog/2009/10/19/designing-hpage/>

We setup <http://jshub.org/> to promote this and other ideas to improve quality of data collected on web sites, and also to put the declaration of this data back into the hands of the content creators, avoid side-channels and establish new best practices in a similar way as current SEO and Accessibility techniques evolved. The idea here is to encourage the publishing of semantic content that is measurable by design.

One of our primary projects at jsHub.org is to establish a vendor neutral format for the data mark-up (and the Open Source tools to support it) and we have received very favourable feedback from all the vendors we have met with, including the biggest vendors (WebTrends, comScore, Coremetrics, Google) on the use of microformats.

As part of this consultation we published a draft microformat we called 'hPage' (not to be confused with an earlier proposal to this list by the same name):

 <https://jshub.org/hPage/>

This proposal was developed using the published microformats process as much as possible, and it has always been our intention to share it with the microformats community for review and refinement and develop a final specification that can be adopted.

I apologise in advance for the initial unilateral development and labelling of this draft as a 'microformat', our circumstances have been very much the same as that of hNews, and I would like to ask for any and all feedback on the current proposal, and to start transferring our research and other content to the official microformats wiki for further development.

There are a number of initial questions that I believe I can anticipate:

1. We understand that this may never be a 'proper' microformat - our usecase is rather generic, but the implementation of a solution has specific constraints to be commercially viable. I and the other members of the jsHub.org team have a lot of experience in this due to previous work for the vendors (which we will be sharing), however I would like to point out the 'Design principles' section of the spec where we attempt to address some of the conflicts in approach and how we try to mitigate them:

 <https://jshub.org/hPage/#design_principles>

2. Its called 'hPage' to create an association with the Web Analytics vendors measurement of a 'Page View', which is the primary use of the proprietary mark-up it is intended to replace. May vendors have an enormous number of potential variables that can be set for use across a large product range and we don't believe that one microformat can replace all of these, only a common subset. We expect that there will be additional proposals needed, but we are starting with the most obvious current practice and trying to address the next required development in the Web Analytics industry - that of tracking multiple pages of content in one document (AJAX updates). This is covered in the section:

<https://jshub.org/hPage/#multiple_pages_of_content_in_a_single_html_document >

3. As with hNews we suspect that there are potential benefits to integrating with or extending hAtom and other microformats and would like to first start with seeing how we can revisit our initial in-the- wild examples using your collective experience. Our objective is to establish 'a' microformat, not necessarily 'our' microformat for use by clients and vendors alike.

We are working full-time on this and other related projects at jsHub.org and I appreciate your time and am very much looking forward to hearing your opinions.

[If anyone is London, UK based I am generally out and about if you would like to meet up]

Liam Clancy
--
http://jshub.org/
http://metafeather.net/