Ok,
forget my earlier post, I went back to the php install, maybe
'corrected' a few things.
During configure it says:
Warning: You will need bison IF you'd want to regnerate the PHP3
parsers.

I don't think I want to regenerate those things, so I'll ignore the
warning.

make blows up, too:
make: bison: Command not found.

I looked in the mail list, didn't see this error mentioned, went to the
midgard web site, too.  It complains about YACC, too, during the php
configure.  I don't see any configure parms that might help.  Why do I
need bison and why can't I make php without it?

I'll take a look at the php site, too,
thanks,
daryle