Hello Mark,

If the interest type is flat, it is always calculated on the disbursed
principal.
In your case,no matter how much amount is repaid, your interest is always
calculated on 6000

Whereas, in declining balance, interest is always calculated on the
outstanding principal.
i.e interest keeps reducing down the installments,which is the correct
behavior.
If you have repaid principal amount of 1000,then interest for the next
installment will be calculated on
amount of 5000 and so on.

Regards,
Sughosh