So, your tower talks directly to individual users gear?  So they have to
call you every time they buy another piece of cheap wireless junk?

Why wouldn't you have a CPE radio connected to a router that allows all
the clients gear to connect to it?

That way you don't have to care what they connect to it and don't have
to track all those MAC addresses...

--

On 1/21/2018 6:45 PM, ralph via Mikrotik-users wrote:
> I have a lot of sites using MT Hotspot with an offsite RADIUS backend that
> handles billing and customer speed control, etc.
>
> This is fine for when the customer has a browser equipped device. They just
> log in via the portal and away they go.  But now there are many new devices
> that don't use browsers,  things like smart thermostats, smart TVs, certain
> game consoles and who knows what else.  MT (and my backend) have MAC
> Authentication (where you set MAC as one of the login methods in the hotspot)
> for those sorts of devices. However that only works if the device initiates
> an HTTP connection. On HTTPS, no auto login  and on a lot of these other
> devices no auto login either.
>
> So I end up having to put these device's  MACs into an IP Binding table in
> the MT hotspot.    Works great.  But I lose all tracking of the user, I can't
> control their speed, and I don't even know they are on line.   But the worst
> part is that now I have to manually track whether or not their subscription
> is current. Sometimes I forget to and their devices get free service for
> months.
>
> But I think there must be a way I can do the following:
>
> 1. Let their MAC just pass through without going through the hotspot.
> 2. Limit the device's speed to that of their subscription
> 3. And optionally, have the rule go away on a certain date (or after a
> certain period of time)
>
> I'd be ecstatic if I could just get #1 and #2.
>
> I don't know anything about "Manual Queues", only the ones the hotspot
> creates upon login.
>
> Can someone help me out?
>
> Thanks,
> Ralph