"Or with RoS automatically do the conversion of commands from the earlier
versions to the newest version?"

Absolutely.

The biggest changes I recall are the rework of the bridge/switch system
which could change your config dramatically, but you should be able to
clearly see this in the config.

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=128915
"RouterOS 6.41 contains new bridge implementation that supports hardware
offloading (hw-offload).
This update will convert all interface "master-port" configuration into new
bridge configuration, and eliminate "master-port" option as such.
Bridge will handle all Layer2 forwarding and the use of switch-chip
(hw-offload) will be automatically turned on based on appropriate
conditions.
The rest of RouterOS Switch specific configuration remains untouched in
usual menus for now.
Please, note that downgrading to previous RouterOS versions will not
restore "master-port" configuration, so use backups to restore
configuration on downgrade."

I took 5.x routers directly to 6.40.6 earlier this year. It just worked. I
haven't upgraded anything to the latest (non-bugfix) because I like
sleeping at night, but I know a lot of people run current.

If your worried it not functioning after upgrade take the prod-config and
setup a couple of other mikrotik's and get a working 'prod-lab' on the
bench on 6.35 and upgrade it while watching it/checking it for
functionality.