We run a MPLS core running OSPF for LDP and BGP for dynamic VPLS's for about
9 months now on a production network of 100 core routers and 1000+ clients

ROS 4 upto 4.13 has some major routing crash issues with OSPF, This was
fixed in 4.13 but recently we've hit another load bug that was fixed by
4.16.

Some more info about the issues you've had would help, Versions/Designs etc
etc. I can almost say for certain that your MTU issues with 1496 will be a
config detail somewhere thats been missed, We has real issue with it in the
lab untill we finally nailed things out