On 03/29/2011 02:01 PM, Randy Cosby wrote:
Spent a day playing with STP and got it optimized quite a bit -- until we tried to put vlans into the mix. We like to run a separate vlan to each tower. Cisco just wants to do pvstp or mstp, not the ancient stp protocol. Why doesn't Mikrotik support pvstp or mstp?

You're asking me? lol. Maybe for the same reason they don't support the LONG list of things that I have asked them for....they don't want to (yet?). You have only a few options:

1. Don't do vlan.  Find some other way to segment your traffic.
2. Place a 3560 (or other cisco switch) at each tower and run your bridging protocol from there.
3. Wait for MT to support your preferred protocol (may be a LONG wait)
4. Replace the Cisco device with a MT device that can support a bridge protocol that can handle the vlan traffic. Maybe you can make this work with MT's HWMP+ (not compatible with standard HWMP) meshing protocol.

For me, I always opt to work around limitations in the tool I use to build the network. In this case, that would leave the above choices. Personally, I'd like to see them implement proper (and complete) IPv6 support ahead of ANY work on bridging protocols, but my wishes carry as much weight there as do yours.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *
*                NOTE THE NEW PHONE NUMBER: 702-537-0979           *