I don't dare run a "regular" switch because:

1. The site is on a mountain top that is not easily accessible in the wintertime, and the power is less than reliable. Therefore, I need something with very low power draw.

2. The RB493G is in a cabinet that is not climate controlled. It gets pretty toasty in the summertime.

I've been running a 493G at this site for a couple of years, and it has been rock solid in this bridging configuration. I'm just wary about moving to switching since I seldom hear about people who have used it on routerboards. Maybe I'm worried about nothing and it works as advertised. Hopefully that's the case.

Craig

Quoting Josh Luthman <j...@imaginenetworksllc.com>:

I've had a very very good run with the 493 and 493ah.  I've had one
software glitch where it needed rebooted - updated it two summers ago
and it's been good since. I am excluding storm damages (tower
equipment died so the RB dying was just another broken part to fix).
I'm not using the switch chips themselves though.

Why not just run a Dlink switch and have it do gig for 16 or 24 ports?

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St