On 05/23/2013 03:26 PM, Jerry Roy wrote:
I want to take the IPv6 course you are going to teach. Please give me some
ammunition to present to my boss on why IPv6 is now important. What are the
security advantages or ANY advantages beside larger IP space that I can use
to sell him on the idea.

There are a number of reasons. There is no real pro/con as far as security is concerned, though there are some enhancements for security. The real reasons why IPv6 is important and growing more so revolve around the availability of IPv4 space and the fact that there ARE some content providers who will be pushing toward IPv6 in the future (very near term). Just a few facts:

* ARIN, the number resource for the US is projected to be completely out of space next year or late this year. I have seen projections that put this as early as September 2013. If you use public IP space, then you MUST have address space to continue to grow.

* Many of the large providers (AT&T, Comcast, etc.) are moving toward IPv6 to the consumer. As this continues to happen and they widen the gap, I'd look for them to begin advertising this capability.

* Deploying an IPv6 network is not an overnight event. It will take some time to get it done. If you can project a real need for IP space in the next 1-2 years, it's time to get to working on the deployment details for your network now.

I have seen many providers who bury their heads in the sand regarding IPv6. They say things like "I can just NAT with IPv4 and not have any problems." The real problem with that approach is that there is coming a time when some content provider (I expect this to happen in video) will see a specific benefit to them to be able to see the end user IP instead of the NAT IP. When that happens, they will begin telling consumers (YOUR customers) that there is a reason to use IPv6. If you are not prepared when your customers call you asking, then you are 6 months behind the curve (minimum). This is especially bad if AT&T serves your area and they DO offer IPv6.

--
Butch Evans
702-537-0979