Show me how
Thx

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 2 juin 2013 à 07:39, Nathan Anderson <nath...@fsr.com> a écrit :

Hey guys,

I think I've managed to develop a procedure that would allow a dual-core
RB1100-based board (RB1100AHx2, RB1100Hx2) to run MetaROUTERs, as long as
you are willing to sacrifice a CPU core to do so (this software-based
procedure would effectively disable the second core).  Unfortunately, I
can't test it myself because all of our AHx2s are in production.  So I was
hoping that I might be able to find somebody that had a spare Hx2 or AHx2
kicking around doing nothing that they would be willing to attempt this
procedure on.  (Although in theory this modification would be reversable
simply by re-Netinstalling and should not cause any permanent hardware
damage, just as a "CYA" thing I have to disclaim any responsibility should
you manage to break your RouterBOARD in the process.)

Why would you want to do this, you ask?  Well, the single-core RB1100AH at
the $395 price point was recently retired and replaced with the RB1100Hx2
at the exact same price.  Although this sounds like a good thing (an extra
core at no extra price!), the unfortunate reality is that none of the
multicore PowerPC RouterBOARDs support MetaROUTER at this time (you'll see
the menu option, but if you try to create a guest, you'll get an error),
and the 1100AH was the last remaining 1000-series-class RouterBOARD in
production that supported MetaROUTER before its untimely demise, leaving a
notable vacuum in the RouterBOARD line-up.  Although MikroTik has committed
to eventually supporting MetaROUTER on multicore RouterBOARDs (including
the new Tile-based CCR series), we all know that this may take some time to
materialize, and in the meantime those of us who actually make use of
MetaROUTER only have the much weaker 400, 700, and 900 series to turn to
(that, or build an x86 box and run
 KVM).  It would be nice to buy Hx2s and be able to use them as if they
were AHs (which both were/are the same MSRP anyway).

If you're game, drop me a line, and I'll hook you up.

Thanks a bunch,

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC