On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 12:37:03PM -0500, Josh Luthman wrote:
> But rebooting the server doesn't resolve it.  The client device needs
> rebooted.

Do you have a keepalive timout set for the PPtP tunnels?  I see the
option in the PPTP server config.  In the old days, when clients ran
PPPoE connections from their windows boxes to our DSL aggregators, we
would see some clients which never caught on that the PPP connection
was dead and would have to be forced in some way from the client's
end.  Then Cisco IOS gave us a tool to respond to unknown PPPoE session
traffic with a disconnect signal.  It's been a few years since I've had
to think about it.

I don't know about the PPtP client options for keepalives.  I haven't
done PPTP for the past several years since it is about like putting a
postcard in an onion paper envelope.

Maybe you could convert the client to some other VPN tech which might
be more forgiving of a short pause as in this instance as well as being
secure?

lamb...@lambertfam.org